Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Gear Review: The Mode, by Deviation

Deviation is a boutique ski company specializing in hand-made-in-Oregon skis and snowboards. Though they're only two years old, they already have a respectable and ever-growing line-up. I met up with founders Matt and Tim at Mt. Bachelor over the weekend and got a chance to test some of their boards. Test conditions were classic Oregon: around 18 inches of high-density, warm, wet cement. Call me crazy, but I love Cascade Cement, and I found those conditions to be prime for ski testing.

The Mode was one of the first models Devation began producing, and it is designed to be your daily driver. The ski has a low-profile rockered tip and tail, and ample sidecut. It also has a wood core of  ash, basswood, and locust, which seemed to provide an even and energetic flex. In other words, The Mode is a ski that can handle powder, crud, and groomers alike.

The Mode 143-112-132 (168, 178, 188)




The first word that comes to mind after skiing the Modes is "responsive." The Modes offer the precision of a surgeon's blade as you nip and tuck through tight terrain and variable snow conditions. Each turn initiation was effortless and immediate. Even in a foot and a half of Cascade Cement, my ski tips never strayed from my desired path . To accomplish this feat, I credit the subtle tip rocker and not-so-subtle sidecut. The Mode has a turn radius of 17m.  The rockered tips acted like a buoy in the heavy snow, floating back to the surface at the end of every turn. The sidecut allowed for easy turn initiation. Put together, I found I never had to think about where to turn:  I could turn where I wanted, when I wanted, at almost any speed.
David charging The Modes through some Cascade Cement

I also opened the throttle  with The Modes to test its speed limits. I did find them a little squirrely while making GS turns through variable surface snow. This feeling of instability could be due in part to the tune, but I think it is more likely the result of the sidecut and the fact that I skied them at the end of the day when the cement had "set," so to speak. Comparatively, the Function (review forthcoming) absolutely charged in those conditions. 

On groomers, the Modes railed, giving a feeling of a dedicated carving ski. Now, I know you don't buy a 112mm waisted ski to carve, but if you tell me you ski powder, only powder, and nothing but powder, either you're a heli guide, or you're lying. If you are like most of us mortals who have to manage hard pack once in a while, it's nice to have a ski that can handle that too. 

If you want a turny, floaty, playful ski, there is little I would change about the Modes. I think a slightly more pronounced tip would improve their soft snow performance. I also think a 195 cm model would appeal to those who want the same ease of turn initiation, but with slightly more stablility at speed. However, Deviation has other skis in their line-up that satisfy those needs.  

So, since this is a backcountry skiing blog, you may be wondering, "would this be a good ski to bring in the backcountry? I think so. The ski is reasonably light for a fat ski (9.4 lbs at 188cm), can handle variable snow types, and is not so burly that it will overpower backcountry boots. Also, I think that the stiffness under foot will allow for excellent traction while skinning. It would be nice to see flat tails or skin notches.

Conclusions: 


If you often find yourself in tight trees, steep couloirs, or you like a ski that turns effortlessly, you will probably like the Mode. If you tend to mach turns down open faces, you might find the Mode a little twitchy under foot. For the ex-racers and aspiring big mountain skiers, the Function might be better suited for you. 

The Modes are available at www.deviationusa.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment