Friday, December 27, 2013

Gear Review: Tyrolia Adrenalin 16 Touring Bindings


If you're looking for one binding to do everything, the Adrenalin is a great option. I wanted to be able to bring only one setup on trips, and not be stuck in the resort because I had no touring setup, nor ski the resort on bindings not quite cut out for the beating I typically give my gear. The Adrenalin allows me to ski the resort and the backcountry confidently on the same system. But the binding is not without drawbacks.


The challenge in reviewing this bindings is: what do you compare them to? An alpine binding? Other 16 Din touring bindings like the Marker Duke or Solomon/Atomic Guardian? A tech binding? I didn't know how to really answer that question, so I just make comparisons where it seems appropriate. Since there is so much variability between bindings, I don't want to get to bogged down in the comparisons. 

Also, the Adrenalin is manufactured by Tyrolia, but labeled with the Elan, Fischer, and 4front logos. They are all the same binding.

Tech Specs:

Din: 4-16
Boot Compatibility: Alpine and Touring
Weight: 5lbs, 12 oz
Sizes: Short (270mm-330mm); Long (300-360mm)


Skiing:


The Adrenalins ski almost as well as the best of the alpine bindings out there. I have skied these guys aggressively in almost every snow condition you will find. I have not pre-release once. Then again with a 16 din and my own din set a little above the ski shop recommendation, I should hope they wouldn't. That being said, these bindings have a huge din range (4-16) so they really can accommodate a wide range of skier types and body types.

Power transfer to the skis is pretty good. Like any touring binding, the Adrenalin's stack height is quite a bit higher than a standard alpine binding. I measure mine to be 31mm at the toe and 35mm at the heel. That's slightly lower than the Marker Duke and the Solomon Guardian's published stack heights.

My main beef with the Adrenalins, compared to a standard alpine binding, is the weight. I skied a Look PX 15 before I mounted the Adrenalins. The PX 15s are no featherweight binding. But I definitely noticed the weight of the Adrenalins when I was trying to make short, tight turns between trees. Compared to the PX 15s, the Adrenalins felt a little slow and sluggish, which is not unexpected.

Touring:


The Adrenalins tour reasonably well for their weight. The toe pivot feels like it is in a natural spot, and the change from walk to ski mode is very easy (and does not require taking your skis off like the Marker Duke). While touring up Mt. Bachelor last month and in Utah last week, I was more or less able to keep up with the rest of the group. On Mt. Bachelor I definitely noticed myself working harder than the rest of the group, all of whom were on tech systems. In Utah I hiked with two split boarders, and we seemed to be on a level playing field.

I also like the three heel lift options on the Adrenalins. Each works well, even when the ski was covered in snow.

My main issue with the tourability of the Adrenalins is the honeycomb underside of the bindings, which tend to fill up with snow. This adds weight, and negates the benefit of being able to switch from ski to tour mode without taking the skis off. Sometimes you have to take the skis off anyway to chip the snow out from underneath the binding. I'm sure there is some chemical you could apply to the underside of the bindings to avoid snow build-up, but I haven't looked into it yet.


Durability:


I came by these Adrenalins used, through the always awesome TGR Gearswap Forums. I was able to find someone willing to swap me these Adrenalins for some rarely used Dynafit Comforts that I had in the gear closet. The Adrenalins I received were used a season. Thus, these bad boys have seen a little more action than I alone have been able to give them this fall. However, I've been giving them plenty of action. So far I've toured with these Adrenalins up Mt. Bachelor (pre season), the Palmer Glacier on Mt. Hood, and two epic days skiing blower Utah pow (trip report pending). I've also skied the Adrenalins four times
in the resort.

Theses are not all-metal machines. But there seems to be metal where it counts, and plastic where it doesn't (as much). When it comes to daily abuse, I have not identified and particular weak spots.

However, I have notice that where the metal heel latch that locks the bindings into ski mode attaches to the plastic platform on which the binding sits, a little play has developed. The play is a fraction of a millimeter, and unnoticeable while skiing. But I could foresee that eventually the plastic on the binding platform would wear to the point where one would notice significant play in the heel while in ski mode. Since the platform is a critical part to the binding, and not easily replaceable, this could be a serious issue down the road. Only time will tell. Notably, the Marker Duke is also known for developing play in the heel, so this phenomenon is not unique to the Adrenalin.

Conclusion:


The Adrenalin is not the best resort binding out there. I like my Look PX 15s better when I'm riding the lift. The Adrenalin is also not the best touring binding out there. There is just no comparison between the Adrenalin and any Dynafit binding. It is not hugely different than the Duke or the Guardian (other than the walk/ski mode transitions). So really what it comes down to is what you're looking for. If you're a pass holder doing a lot of lift-access backcountry, the Adrenalin is as good as it gets. If you only want to buy one binding, ditto.

If you're like me and usually commit to either the resort or backcountry for the day, I think a better option would be to have both Dynafits and an alpine binding, and your skis mounted with inserts so you can swap between the two systems. A boot like my Black Diamond Factor 130s would work well in that system. I have not played with inserts yet...I'll wait to get new skis before I commit to a new system. In the meantime, the Adrenalins will do me just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment