Monday, December 2, 2013

Thankskiing

Aliza hiking up the Palmer Snowfield with Mt. Jefferson in the background

I’m thankful for a lot of things in my life, not the least is the fact that I get to go skiing pretty regularly. It’s easy to forget what a privilege it is to ski. Most people don’t ski. Even fewer have the skills, time, and experience to ski the backcountry. Those of us that do ski the backcountry are pretty damn lucky, and sometimes it’s good to be reminded of that.

I’m also pretty lucky that I’ve grown up in a family that not only encouraged my backcountry pursuits, but they have regularly been a part of them. 


Family
From an early age my dad was taking me backpacking, my family was going on ski trips, my mom was sending me off to adventure camps where I learned to rock climb, kayak, and innumerable other outdoor skills. I owe so much to my family for the life I lead now. Thanksgiving morning, I was able to give a little back by taking part my family on a ski tour up the Palmer snowfield on Mt. Hood.
Aliza and Mt. Hood

The Palmer snowfield is part of the Timberline Ski Area. It is also the most common route used to reach the summit of Mt. Hood. It is a mellow, low angle route that follows the East side of the ski area boundary. From Timberline Lodge, the climb to the top of Palmer is right around 2500 vertical feet.

We got to Timberline at around 9:00am and we were on the snow by 9:30. For a group of relative beginners out on the snow for the first time this season, the family made good time, averaging around 1000 feet an hour on our way up the snowfields.
Daniel rocking the Cilogear 30z

The snow was firm and crunchy as we made our ascent. But, the sun was shining and visibility was flawless. Looking south, Mt. Jefferson and the Three Sisters peaked up over the horizon. If you squinted a little (or your sunglasses are less scratched up than mine) you could see Diamond Peak in the distance. 

We got to the top of Palmer just after noon. The Palmer snowfield was busy with area skiers and boarders. After a quick bite to eat on the cat track, the whole fam-damily started our ski down. The snow off the groomed part of the snow field was still crunchy despite the sun and warm air. But the groomed area was almost corn snow and made for great skiing. We took our time. The beautiful weather and sore muscles prevented us from moving too fast down the mountain. 

We got back to the car, loaded up, and headed down the mountain with thoughts of turkey (except Aliza, who’s veggie), gravy, and stuffing floating through our tired minds. Nothing makes Thanksgiving dinner taste as good as a morning of ski touring.


This weekend reminded me of all I have to be thankful for.  I know it’s a little late, but Happy Thanksgiving everyone!


Happy Thanksgiving!



No comments:

Post a Comment